Thursday 1 September 2011

Tackling the challenges affecting residential rehabilitation providers

It’s hard to believe as I write this, that it is little more than a month since I started working here at eATA. In this time my focus has been on getting out and about and meeting as many members as possible. In doing this I have been heartened and gratified by the warm welcome that I have received, and the positive ongoing commitment from members to what I promise will be a rejuvenated and re-energised eATA.
As a result of these meetings, a number of very clear front-runners are emerging as priority areas of work for us to focus on in the coming months, with my next challenge being to develop a programme of activity to take them forward. These are (in no particular order) providing a strong representative voice for the residential sector; payment by results; transition to public health; building links with commissioners; and exploring with other second tier organisations/representative bodies how we might come together collectively on behalf of the sector to give it a stronger and more unified voice.  
A significant chunk of our time has also been spent responding on behalf of members to the media coverage that has arisen from Mitch Winehouse highlighting difficulties that people can experience in accessing residential rehab. For the record, I am very clear in my own mind that, in any local system that seeks to badge itself as recovery oriented, residential treatment has a key role to play in serving the small but significant minority of clients whom it would benefit.
It is also apparent, based on feedback from members that, whilst some providers are fortunate enough to be operating at or near capacity, many others have seen a significant decline in referrals in recent years.
A trend that, if replicated on a continued basis across the sector, could present a near terminal threat to this important treatment modality unless arrested quickly. Conversations with service users have also indicated that availability and ease of access to such services is variable.
I am confident we will be able to work with DH officials on this pressing issue and I am therefore very hopeful that we will be able to build on this at the first meeting of a rehab working group on 29th September and develop a constructive dialogue with government.
I am now on annual leave but my first engagement on my return will be, along with my family, to attend the 3rd UK recovery walk in Cardiff on 9th September. I hope to see as many of you and your clients (past and present) there as possible, and also at the UKRF conference the day before (where I will be speaking) to celebrate recovery in all its forms. “Gobaith ar gerdded!” or “Recovery Walks”, which is what I believe to be the appropriate English translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment